If your neighbour is noisy or stops you feeling comfortable, try to discuss it with them if you can. If that doesn’t work there are other ways you can ask them to stop, for example by reporting them to the council. 

Keep records 

Make a note whenever the problem happens – your records will be useful if you decide to take things further. 

Write as much detail as possible. Include what happened, the length of time and how it affected you. For example, ‘22 June – dogs barking from 10:15am to 12:35pm. Loud enough to hear in living room – had to turn up my radio’. 

Keep any messages your neighbour sends you and collect evidence if you feel safe to. For example, take a photo of rubbish that’s been dumped in your garden. 

Talking to your neighbour 

Only talk to your neighbour if you feel safe and comfortable. 

It’s quicker to talk face to face – but you can write, text or call if that’s easier. You can take someone with you for support. 

Tell your neighbour how their behaviour is affecting you and what would help. Listen to your neighbour and see if you can reach a compromise together. 

If you think it’s anti-social behaviour 

If your neighbour’s behaviour is classed as ‘anti-social’ there are steps you can take to stop it happening. It’s likely to be anti-social behaviour if it causes ‘nuisance and annoyance’. This could be, for example, if they: 

  • make a lot of noise 
  • dump rubbish 
  • write graffiti 
  • have a dog that barks a lot or causes trouble 
  • use your garden without permission 
  • harass you because of religion, race, gender, disability or another characteristic 

If you know your neighbour is renting and who from, talk to their landlord first – this might be a private landlord, housing association or the council. 

If that doesn’t sort out the problem you can go to the council if you haven’t already talked to them. Check their website for how to complain about anti-social behaviour. 

You can go straight to the council if: 

  • you don’t know whether your neighbour rents or owns 
  • they rent but you don’t know who from 
  • they own their home 

You can find your council on GOV.UK. 

If you’re unhappy with the council or landlord’s response 

If there have been a number of complaints about anti-social behaviour, you might be able to get the problem looked at again – this is called a ‘community trigger’. Check your local council’s website for how it works in your area. 

If you’re still not happy with a housing association or the council, complain using their complaints process – you’ll find it on their website.  

If you still think they haven’t acted as they should, you can go to an ombudsman. They’ll look at your complaint and decide if the council or housing association should put things right. 

To complain about a housing association, go to the Housing Ombudsman. The Housing Ombudsman won’t accept your case until 8 weeks after your housing association or council gave you their final response.