If you need extra help because of an illness, disability or mental health condition you could get Personal Independence Payment (PIP).  You don’t need to have worked or paid National Insurance to qualify for PIP, and it doesn’t matter what your income is, if you have any savings or you’re working. 

To be eligible for PIP you must be aged between 16 and your State Pension age. You cancheck your State Pension age on GOV.UK.  

You must also:  

  • find it hard to do everyday tasks or get around because of a physical or mental condition – you can make a claim whether you get help from another person or not 
  • have found these things hard for 3 months and expect it to continue for another 9 months 
  • usually be living in England, Scotland or Wales when you apply 
  • have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 years - unless you’re a refugee or an immediate family member of a refugee 
Your illness, disability or mental health condition 

PIP is not based on the condition you have or the medication you take. It is based on the level of help you need because of how your condition affects you. 

You’re assessed on the level of help you need with specific activities. It’s hard to say if the level of help you need will qualify you for PIP. But, if you get or need help with any of the following because of your condition, you should consider applying:  

  • preparing and cooking food 
  • eating and drinking 
  • managing your treatments 
  • washing and bathing 
  • managing toilet needs or incontinence 
  • dressing and undressing 
  • communicating with other people 
  • reading and understanding written information 
  • mixing with others 
  • making decisions about money 
  • planning a journey or following a route 
  • moving around 

The help you get may be from a person, an aid (such as a walking stick or guide dog) or an adaptation to your home or car. 


The next link takes you through the claims process.